17 July 2010

life proceeds as normal.

The Arab weekend is over, and tomorrow, we're back in the office for another day of training. At least, the adults are back in the office for the training, I'm just there to watch the babies.

Last week was the first week of the training. One of the two babies was sick, so there ended up being two of us for one baby. We watched lots of movies (Nacho Libre, Napoleon Dynamite, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail) and wasted time while the baby slept.

Yesterday afternoon Mimi asked me if I wanted to go play Ultimate Frisbee with a group of people that she knows. We ended up playing for two hours. It was great. I love meeting people, even though it's a little awkward being the new person in a group of people who know each other.

This morning I was invited to go see Toy Story 3 with some of the people that I met yesterday afternoon. Their family is really funny, and it was great to hang out with them. The movie was...amazing. I love how those stories always center around friendship. I could do that "spoiler alert" thing so I could tell you all about it, having previously warned you, but I always read the spoilers and then the movie is spoiled, so I won't do that. Let's just say that it was great. :)

I talked to my family tonight. I can't believe that in three weeks I'll get to see them again! I can't wait.

We have two more weeks of the training, then one more week before I leave. I don't feel like the summer is nearly over. A few days ago my dad asked me if I feel like it's gone quickly. Yes and no. If I think of each day, what I did, and how long it's been since I've been home, then no, it feels like it been a long time. If I think about the summer as a whole, which is what I tend to do, then yes, it has gone really fast. I don't think that I'm ready to leave here. I am ready to be home, back with my family, back to a place where I can wear shorts outside of the house, but I'm not ready to leave. Tonight someone told me that when I get back to America I'm going to be homesick for here. That's completely true. I'm always homesick for the Netherlands and England, and they haven't been home in a long time. I guess that some of home will always be here.

4 comments:

  1. I really like that. "I guess some of home will always be here". Wonderful phrasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Katie. I feel like it's been a loooonnnnggg time since I've seen you. But with that said, I agree the time you've been away has seemed to have gone quickly as well as slowly. I'm sure you have been a blessing to the family you are staying with. It is a good thing to have a little place in your heart for each place you have lived.
    Love you Katie,
    Grandma Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, Sara!

    thanks Grandma! It has been a really long time. I miss you! Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll really miss you Saturday at the Family Gathering! Continue learning, serving & blessing! See you soon!
    Love,
    Aunt Jackie

    ReplyDelete

go ahead. make my day.